Albania Vacations/Tourism

Current events, society, culture, science, insights. The music. Cinema. The books. The theater. The art.

Moderators: ZenMaster, Shpati

Shpati
Team: Albania, New York Mets, New York Giants, Liverpool F.C.

I thought we should have a separate thread vacations/tourism to/in Albania. Share stories, pics, tips, suggestions, etc.
Shpati

I already booked my ticket and will be there for about a month and half. I haven't been in like 6 years. I will probably post back for some suggestions.

I'm probably going to spend majority of my time in Diber, but hopefully can explore some.

I was thinking of prolonging my trip to watch the Portugal game at Albania, but I said fck it because we are losing that game.
Pjetër
Has thanked: 0

I'm going to Lezhë and Shëngjin this summer. If everything goes as planned I'll be able to go to Podgorica. I'll also be in Italy as well. In Forli and San Vito Lo Capo. Maybe Dragoi can give me some ideas of what to do in some of these places (Lezhë, Shëngjin) that isn't touristy type stuff.
Simboli i Diellit
Team: AC Milan

Live from Shengjin :)

I'll post later a resume of some nice places to visit here in Lezhe/Shengjin with alternative activities /options.

~Simboli~
Shpati

My brother went to Shengjin a couple of years ago.

I have a overnight stay at Rome on the way back to the US. Ticket was cheaper that way. I wonder if they have NY style pizza there.
artan

Best spot for me was Dhermi. Only problem was it's a bit rough getting there as you have to go through some bad ass mountains to get there.

How's the water in Shengjin? Is it the same as Durres?

Probably will go next year when we make the Euros :D
Shpati

artan wrote:
Probably will go next year when we make the Euros :D
Then it looks like you're not going.
Simboli i Diellit

Shengjin is like Miami :)

Places to visit in Lezhe county:

- Town of Lezhe in the center area and shetitore, Skenderbeg's Mausoleum , Castle of Lezhe in the hill over the city, Jolly Bar (a luxuros bar at the highest building of the town that allows you to see the amaizing panorama of the field of Lezhe , beaches and the river Drin passing in the middle of the city) . Also you could visit My Bar 1 or 2 , Moza's California Bakery style deserts , Drini or Eridoni bars who are build over the river Drin delta's (situated behind pallati i kultures and LSI building who can be seen from the square in front of the comunal building) . If you want to drink a good refreshing beer then visit Obelisku (a wooden made Pub style bar). On both sides of Drini river is being build the shetitore and the river will be navigable within two years so tourists could visit other attractive areas within minutes from the city . In Lezhe we have many churches and mosques, the big catholic cathedral near to the high schools , the old Dom Lleshi church on the mountain on the road to Balldre, the Othodox church on the hill "Koder Marlekaj" (wich can be seen from the Skenderbeg Mauseleum( you have to pass through a brasilian favelas style district to reach the church) , there is a nice reconstructed Mosque near the city center on the stadium's side.

- Subburbs of Lezhe : in Ishull Lezhe you can visit the "Count Ciano's villa" named in Hoteli i Gjuetise by comunist regime. Nearby there are dozens of restaurants that serve typicall local food, and one of the most renomated is Trendafili Mistik on Vain area of Ishulli i Lezhes. Vain is a virgin beach and natural reservat with lagoons . Ususally there go couples who want privacy and good-clean sea water .

- In Fishte a village going towards Shkoder there is Mrizi i Zanave , one of the most rinomated bio-food /slowfoods in the mediterraneum area. This place is a must visit , no excuses ! If you order local wine then it should be the Kallmeti (red or white) a tasty good local also cheap wine served anywhere in Lezhe along with Italian imported ones.

- Shengjini has changed dramatically during last decade. From a small town of 2 k inhabitants it hosts up to 100 k during high season, there are many nice bars and restaurants with local or Kosova cusine . Mostly visited by albanians from Kosove it also has a decent night life alternatives. Restaurants on must visit side would be Restaurant Detari that serves good sea food and some Gjakova restaurants in the center (i like spicy suxhuk gjakove and pite :D ) . The sea is much better than Durres , but if you are fanatic of kristal water sea then you should go to Kune, Inheritor area or Rana e Hedhur:

- Tale is also a good alternative as a beach , it has decent roads and the seaside has much more sand than any beach in Albania but there are no trees . Water is good and clean.

There are also few other attractive places with antique castle church ruins in Kashnjet area, Pllane but i wouldn't suggest them to people who plan to stay 2-3 days in the area.

Best place to stay is Rafaello Resort:

http://rafaeloresort.com

They have all the services a western tourist asks for. If you look for cheaper rooms then see Ambasador, Ermiri Palace or small hotels where you can find as low as 8 € per night B&B.
Local beer is birra Lissus (produced by my cousins factory, a czech type of beer , 1L should cost like 1-2 $.

~Simboli~
Shpati

Dragoi wrote:Shengjin is like Miami :)
A good reason not to go.
Simboli i Diellit

Shpati wrote:A good reason not to go.
Then you should go to Drimadhe , Kepi i Rodonit and Sazan :P

~Simboli~
  • Information