Where are we at with this Catalonia business?

Current events, society, culture, science, insights. The music. Cinema. The books. The theater. The art.

Moderators: ZenMaster, Shpati

Pjetër
Has thanked: 0

Do you think Albania or Kosovo are going to publicly take sides on this issue if someone even cares enough to ask one of their leaders for their opinion?

I think it's a tricky situation for them since Albanian/Kosovar political leaders like to kiss European Union ass and it would probably be a strike against them if they were to criticize Spain in this ordeal.

Then again you would think that Kosovars would side with the Catalans in this situation due to the surface level similarities between them.

Your thoughts?

artan

I'm fairly certain Albania and Kosova would recognize Catalonia. First, it would be hypocritical for Albania/Kosova to not accept Catalonia. Second, usually regions with breakaway regions (Russia, Serbia, Bosnia, Spain, etc) don't accept recognition of independence of breakaway regions like Kosova as it may trigger independence for autonomous regions in their own countries. Third, Spain hasn't recognized Kosova and was pretty vocal against it. There's no reason for Albania or Kosova not to recognize Catalonia and they should recognize it to make a potential political ally in the least.

I kinda think EU countries would accept independence for Catalonia. The UK would probably oppose?
Simboli i Diellit
Team: AC Milan

I don’t think Albania will recognize Catalonia before the EU does. It’s a tricky situation for taking sides , Spain is a factor within EU and if Catalonia leaves then they’ll have issues with Basques, Galicia ... Even other big western countries support Spain. France has his own issues with Basques , Corsica and Normandy while Italy is facing a referendum this 22 october for autonomy of Padania, Germany has some economical issues within Bavaria who would like an own autonomy. The UK wouldn’t like Scotland to follow the Catalan’s example in the 2018 referendum. It’s time for micro-countries even in the west just like eastern-europe dissolution . In future it will be easier for the EU to control small countries than big ones . This Catalunia thing will last for a decade at least before getting a seat in the UN.
Doc
Team: FK Dinamo
Been thanked: 0

f*** Spain, ja qift derri temen
Eshte lufta finale
vendimtare mbi ne
Internacionale
Do te jet nje bote e re
Aurora Bulkualis
Team: Fc Bulku

Lol, can't we discuss this without bringing in people's backgrounds? Kosovo's independence shouldn't just happen because of tribal politics, but it's the morally right thing to do.

And obviously, if Catalonia wants to secede, it's their right. If the great majority of any group of people (obv. it has to be a sizeable amount, not like 150 people) wants to secede from another state, they should do so.
"Cheap things you can buy in bulk, but Bulku is priceless" Ervin Xhevahir Bulku
Pjetër

Aurora Bulkualis wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:47 am Lol, can't we discuss this without bringing in people's backgrounds? Kosovo's independence shouldn't just happen because of tribal politics, but it's the morally right thing to do.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. I'm not the first and only person to bring up Kosovo's unilateral declaration of independence in relation to Catalonia.

And for the record I too support Catalan independence and if they do unilaterally declare themselves to be independent of Spain I would hope that the Albanian government would recognize them.
Plako
Team: Partizani

Most Albanians would never side with Fascist Spain for sure and would side with Catalonia. We had Albanian volunteers (Most notably Petro Marko, Mehmet Shehu, Asim Vokshi and Ali Kelmendi) fighting in the International Brigades against the Spanish Fascist some 80 years ago.
  • Information