USA General Elections and Predictions?

Current events, society, culture, science, insights. The music. Cinema. The books. The theater. The art.

Moderators: ZenMaster, Shpati

Who are you voting for?

You may select 1 option

View results
Plako
Team: Partizani

Shpati wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:13 am Who are you voting for?

Who do you think will win?

I'm voting for Joe Biden but I think Trump wins
Same here but I just don't vote. This is an absolute shitshow :oops:
Shpati
Team: Albania, New York Mets, New York Giants, Liverpool F.C.

Plako wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:04 pm

Why don't you vote?

I really wanted Bernie Sanders.

I'm no Biden fan, but Trump is awful. And I think most Albanians don't like his and Grenell's policy on Kosova. I definitely want him out solely on that reason. Kurti would likely still be PM if it wasn't for Richard Grenell.
IndritFieri
Team: AC Milan
FK Apollonia
Kuq & Zi
Italy

Shpati wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:39 am
Plako wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:04 pm

Why don't you vote?

I'm no Biden fan, but Trump is awful. And I think most Albanians don't like his and Grenell's policy on Kosova. I definitely want him out solely on that reason. Kurti would likely still be PM if it wasn't for Richard Grenell.
You think Trump knows f*** all about Kosovo or Serbia? He is just a puppet and probably master Putin is pulling all the string.
KelmendVllazni
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

People are confusing “woke/liberal” as “left” these days. The Democratic Party is certainly not a “leftist” party and has barely changed in terms of policy since the late 1970s. Since Reagan, both parties have pretty much followed the neoliberal doctrine of privatizing and gutting any decent social safety net. When people say the Democratic Party has gone too “left”, they usually mean culturally, but it’s an obvious attempt to try align all “leftism” with this ascending “woke” / postmodern political ideology. People doing this are either acting in bad faith or are simply useful idiots. However, it’s true that both parties absolutely love continuing these culture wars, as if they are the underlying root causes of the real issues, growing and persistent inequality, stagnant wages for the bottom 60%, and ever increasing costs to healthcare and education. None of these will be fixed without sound and redistributive economic policies, which neither party is actually interested in passing so they instead fight over trivial bullshit.

Bernie would’ve been great but he went a little too woke at times and instead of consolidating support in the rural areas and Midwest, he attempted to win over Southern black democrats who were never going to actually vote for him on the primaries. The fact that the DNC and mainstream media kind of fucked him over again certainly didn’t help.

Regardless, I don’t understand people who hate identity politics and like Trump. Liberal identity politics can be incredibly nauseating and perhaps dangerous, but reactionary morons like Trump also rely on conservative identity politics and fear mongering, which is way more dangerous if history tells us anything.

As far as the election, I was going to sit this one out but after seeing how Trump handled Covid, in addition to the constant lying and childish behavior, I don’t think another four years of this will be good for anybody. Biden/Harris will surely be a continuation of neoliberalism but at least we’ll have someone who might actually attempt to manage a pandemic like Covid in a non-moronic manner. Today’s decision to not pass a stimulus bill sealed it for me. This dude, along with the senate republicans, are more worried about fucking deficits than helping the people who have been hit hardest during this pandemic. Don’t get me wrong, f*** Pelosi too, the Dems should compromise a bit to try and pass something, but I don’t think the Republican senate will pass any kind of compromise. The Rand Paul and Ted Cruz types are legitimately and insanely cruel when it comes to any kind of government spending. I’ll never call my self a liberal or anything like that but, at this moment, I can’t look at both candidates and think “it won’t matter who wins”. I’ll never vote conservative because I refuse to vote for proud reactionaries, but I’m willing to hold my nose and vote for Biden simply because Trump is too volatile, divisive, and frankly too much of a whiny bitch at the end of the day.

I honestly think Biden got this in the bag though. People point to 2016, but you have to remember that Hillary was a disastrous candidate who was never really liked in general, while Biden’s favorability numbers have always been decent. Also, Trump keeps shooting himself in the foot as if he’s actually trying to lose the election.

P.S. It’s great to see so many Xtratimers still posting here. Hope all of you and your loved ones are safe and healthy!
Plako
Team: Partizani

Shpati wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:39 am Why don't you vote?

I don't vote because the system is already rigged, and not in the way Trump means it. I think @KelmendVllazni did a great job at articulating what I think about US politics. I was for Bernie Sanders back in 2016 and obviously this year as well but he stood no chance against the Democratic establishment. He also did himself no favors taking some extreme positions like paying back student loans and abolishing private health insurance. I'm an old school leftist and the Democratic Party today is nothing but a corporate tool to give the impression that in this country there is indeed a "left" alternative, when in reality in most European countries they would be considered a center right party.
Pjetër
Has thanked: 0

I've never voted in my life but I will vote on the 3rd and it will be for Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. Whether Trump survives COVID or not.
Simboli i Diellit
Team: AC Milan

Macroeconomic consequences Trump vs Biden:
https://www.moodysanalytics.com/-/media ... k68EEhJ6fk
RedFootballs
Team: QPR - Albania

Trump has no chance of winning, even with his voter suppression attempts. Biden wins by landslide. It's over for him and I'm happy for you guys.
Shpati
Team: Albania, New York Mets, New York Giants, Liverpool F.C.

RedFootballs wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:49 am Trump has no chance of winning, even with his voter suppression attempts. Biden wins by landslide. It's over for him and I'm happy for you guys.
USA has an electoral college. They already did the statistics, and Trump can lose the popular vote by 8 million votes and still win the election.

This is why I say Trump wins.

I think he will go for something like this:

https://www.270towin.com/maps/DdWyd

He will accept Penn. and Mich. as a loss. But he will pick up overlooked states like NH and Nevada. Minnesota as well will flip.

Trump can afford to lose Penn., Mich., AZ, Iowa,

His team is being very calculating. While the Biden team is already getting cocky from the dumb polls.
RedFootballs
Team: QPR - Albania

Shpati wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:22 pm
RedFootballs wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:49 am Trump has no chance of winning, even with his voter suppression attempts. Biden wins by landslide. It's over for him and I'm happy for you guys.
USA has an electoral college. They already did the statistics, and Trump can lose the popular vote by 8 million votes and still win the election.

This is why I say Trump wins.

I think he will go for something like this:

https://www.270towin.com/maps/DdWyd

He will accept Penn. and Mich. as a loss. But he will pick up overlooked states like NH and Nevada. Minnesota as well will flip.

Trump can afford to lose Penn., Mich., AZ, Iowa,

His team is being very calculating. While the Biden team is already getting cocky from the dumb polls.
For me this is a lot more realistic
https://www.270towin.com/maps/pG23l

I don't think MN will flip.

For him to get what is in that map he needs to win at least 3 states that have him down in the polls by a decent margin
  • Information