Cinema

Current events, society, culture, science, insights. The music. Cinema. The books. The theater. The art.

Moderators: ZenMaster, Shpati

Pjetër
Has thanked: 0

since we have a television thread i figured we should also have a thread for films. we can use this thread to discuss films from albania, america, germany, france, italy, etc. also talk about your favorite actors, directors, etc.

make recommendations for recent films you have seen or films you feel are important that others here should see.

some of my favorite films that i think everybody should see with the trailer.

mikey and nicky (1976)
dMCDCPOzPTo

husbands (1970)
YRJ8VecuWEQ

the killing of a chinese bookie (1976) best gangster film ever imo
8ztlsDq5luU

walkabout (1971)
hYl1F5S3msA

a man escaped (1956)
QwqeEm9ocdk

the leopard (1963)
_22bCHI_Qvk

tristana (1970)
gUtZEA9H4tw
Shpati
Team: Albania, New York Mets, New York Giants, Liverpool F.C.

Not sure why, but I watched Dazed & Confused a couple of weeks ago, and it was an instant favorite. I watched it 3-4 nights in a row.

Quentin Tarantino has it on his top 10 movies of all time:

caJu4be6O2c

wknywxfcE5M

jS30OfLFbRM
Plako
Team: Partizani

https://tribecafilm.com/filmguide/sworn-virgin-2015

"Sworn Virgin" showing at Tribeca this year.

As a young woman living within the confines of a Northern Albanian village, Hana longs to escape the shackles of womanhood, and live her life as a man. To do so she must evoke an old law of the Kanun and take an oath to eternally remain a virgin. Years later, as Mark, she leaves home for the first time and travels to Italy to stay with her sister, crossing over into a world unlike anything she has known before. There, she discovers herself again, leading her to contemplate the possibility of undoing the vow she made so long ago.

Director Laura Bispuri’s debut feature is an evocative and introspective film that brings light to the centuries-long Albanian tradition of the sworn virgin, or burrnesha. The practice allowed women to break out of their prescribed roles and avoid a life of domesticity by electing to take on another set of rigid gender roles. Bispuri delicately navigates Hana’s story, giving particular attention to mood, and lead actress Alba Rohrwacher delivers a nuanced and powerful performance as a woman whose gender isn’t as easily defined as the world expects it to be.

—Geoffrey Gilmore
Simboli i Diellit
Team: AC Milan

Saw it two weeks ago . It's worth watching it ;)
Plako

I'm definitely going if I can get tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
artan

I feel the whole Sworn Virgin concept is beaten to death along with Hakmarrja although I don't think there's been a movie about the Sworn Virgin.

Me personally I would like to see a movie about the struggle of a young footballer in Albania trying to make it big. Loosely base it around Bulku's life where he used to sell cigarettes to pay for shoes and practice in a field while cows where being domesticated.

PS, how come none of those niggas can make a modern Skenderbeu movie? Or Avni Rrustemi? A movie taking place during Hoxha's time, etc? Just a bunch of movies about blood killings or mobster flicks.
Plako

artan wrote:I feel the whole Sworn Virgin concept is beaten to death along with Hakmarrja although I don't think there's been a movie about the Sworn Virgin.
Indeed. I feel Ike there's an article in a major publication every other month about sworn Virginia. The West loves these type of shit.
artan wrote:Me personally I would like to see a movie about the struggle of a young footballer in Albania trying to make it big. Loosely base it around Bulku's life where he used to sell cigarettes to pay for shoes and practice in a field while cows where being domesticated.
There is a movie about a young football player but it's from the 80's. I can't recall the name maybe Berti can help. As for Bulku here's footage from his first season in Superliga

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4LkxtzH1tEE

Berti
Team: Leeds
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Plako. The only football related film I can think is " Fushe e blerte, Fushe e Kuqe". It was in the 80s
Plako

Berti wrote:Plako. The only football related film I can think is " Fushe e blerte, Fushe e Kuqe". It was in the 80s
Oh yeah Shprefeja :)

The movie I was talking about takes place in the 80's. Gonna try and find it.

I saw "Odiseja e Tirofzeve" recently and it's one of the best Albanian comedies ever. I think it was banned as I had not seen in Albania.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m028Sb46Ick
Plako

artan wrote:I feel the whole Sworn Virgin concept is beaten to death along with Hakmarrja.
You were right, here's the latest one from Vice. Sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTrUG5EszmQ

• Information