Free Your Mendje

Current events, society, culture, science, insights. The music. Cinema. The books. The theater. The art.

Moderators: ZenMaster, Shpati

Pjetër
Has thanked: 0

anybody else think that people from kruja speak weird? a friend of mine calls a house a "shpaj" (i don't even know how to spell it tbh). they also pronounce the q like a sh and that always confuses me. seriously one of the weirdest dialects i have ever heard.
Plako
Team: Partizani

Pjetër wrote:anybody else think that people from kruja speak weird? a friend of mine calls a house a "shpaj" (i don't even know how to spell it tbh). they also pronounce the q like a sh and that always confuses me. seriously one of the weirdest dialects i have ever heard.
Shpaj sounds like Dibran dialect to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plako
Team: Partizani

I'm assuming this would be relevant here

http://gfycat.com/InfatuatedHideousKitfox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
artan

Pjetër wrote:anybody else think that people from kruja speak weird? a friend of mine calls a house a "shpaj" (i don't even know how to spell it tbh). they also pronounce the q like a sh and that always confuses me. seriously one of the weirdest dialects i have ever heard.
TBH, sounds like alot of Albanians from FYROM. They add an "aj" ending to everything(or atleast where my parents are from) Majr, Xhamaj, Shpaj, etc.
Pjetër

he also told me they call a chair a "karrajg" again i'm just trying to spell it phonetically.

are there any other albanians who pronounce q as sh? or any other letter replacement type situations?
NYVirus
Team: Arsenal; Skenderbeu; New York Mets
Been thanked: 0

Pjetër wrote:he also told me they call a chair a "karrajg" again i'm just trying to spell it phonetically.

are there any other albanians who pronounce q as sh? or any other letter replacement type situations?
The Ghegs often pronounce and a "q" as a "ç" and even use the "q" in spelling things like "Qlirim" or "Biqiklete" or "Laq". I've always found that to be strange.
Pjetër

yea to be honest q and ç literally sound the same to me. so do xh and gj (sometimes) and dh and ll sound similar as well.
NYVirus

Pjetër wrote:yea to be honest q and ç literally sound the same to me. so do xh and gj (sometimes) and dh and ll sound similar as well.
No way, only if the person speaking has a speech problem... They are kind of similar, but there's a clear distinction between those sounds in our language, both phonetically and in our alphabet. Using "q" instead of "ç", or any of those other replacements, is similar to the urbanization of the English language in the inner city hoods. Our schools should do a better job of teaching the Albanian language to everyone.
Pjetër

generally speaking that is why i avoid speaking albanian to most people unless it is absolutely necessary. although you can't really blame the albanian school system in my case since i never went to school in albania.
NYVirus

I don't think anyone really judges when the phonetic sound is not exact, my real beef is with public documents containing the wrong letters.

"Vendi i Lindjes: Laq" in a Birth Certificate for example.
  • Information