Albania Since 1982 (Why Skela & co. were better than today's team)

With memories of the golden years (80's) of the albanian football still fresh on her mind, Albania is now attempting to recreate its strong football legacy. As young players start making their names abroad, the future is looking bright for Albanian football!

Moderators: Shpati, ZenMaster

Albo_eagle

I watched two games from the stands and Sadiku impressed me so much. Opinions differ i guess.
Shpati
Team: Albania, New York Mets, New York Giants, Liverpool F.C.

Plako wrote:Even Sadiku sucks big time imo. He has a lead foot and can't control the ball to save his life. I think the problem with Avidjaj is either he's waiting out for Germany (think Mustafi) or he wants to be included in the senior squad and won't accept a call-up to the U-21 squad. If either is true, and I am speculating here, I think the FA is right in not bringing him in. I rather bring the likes of Rashica in as he has shown a willingness to be part of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought Sadiku was good as a lone striker. He was a workhorse in the group stage. He did really well considering he was practically playing with 1 winger, 3 full backs, and 3 defensive midfielders. If De Biasi wants a striker to do it all alone, he's the best choice as of right now. And I'm honestly skeptical on how well Tare and Bogdani would do at holding up play with this current squad.

This team needs an attacking midfielder more than a striker, imo. Or just a creative guy in the middle. There's no transition past the midfield line. You just pray that Hysaj makes one of those passes.
Dallku

Man even the espn commentators were making fun of Sadiku's technique and hold up play. Yes he had little support and his work rate was great but the ball bouncing from his foot over and over was amateur stuff.

Sadiku is who he is though. An FC Zurich benchwarmer who went on loan to a club in Lichtenstein....! Cikalleshi needs to gtfo of Turkey and return to Albania or something. Same with roshi and Balaj.

Dallku wrote:Man even the espn commentators were making fun of Sadiku's technique and hold up play. Yes he had little support and his work rate was great but the ball bouncing from his foot over and over was amateur stuff.

Sadiku is who he is though. An FC Zurich benchwarmer who went on loan to a club in Lichtenstein....! Cikalleshi needs to gtfo of Turkey and return to Albania or something. Same with roshi and Balaj.

I remember Sadiku making one good play: the header for the goal. The rest of his play was atrocious. Yeah he's a workhorse but what exactly did he achieve by singlehandedly pressuring the opposing defense? Zilch

Plako
Team: Partizani

Dallku wrote:Man even the espn commentators were making fun of Sadiku's technique and hold up play. Yes he had little support and his work rate was great but the ball bouncing from his foot over and over was amateur stuff.

I remember Sadiku making one good play: the header for the goal. The rest of his play was atrocious. Yeah he's a workhorse but what exactly did he achieve by singlehandedly pressuring the opposing defense? Zilch

artan

Skela wouldn't even start on this team. GDB neglected attacking players like Meha, Rashica, Avdijaj, Kace(for a deep midfielder) because they don't fit his style of play. Skela, a central player, doesn't either and he's just as limited as Meha is.

To think Skela would be some maestro on this squad is comical. He played in Albania's worst era so that's why he may have looked decent offensively. I get it he made Germany shit their pants when we lost 3-2 blah blah.
Plako
Team: Partizani

artan wrote:Skela wouldn't even start on this team. GDB neglected attacking players like Meha, Rashica, Avdijaj, Kace(for a deep midfielder) because they don't fit his style of play. Skela, a central player, doesn't either and he's just as limited as Meha is.

To think Skela would be some maestro on this squad is comical. He played in Albania's worst era so that's why he may have looked decent offensively. I get it he made Germany shit their pants when we lost 3-2 blah blah.
Well Mata, Chelsea player of the year for two years in a row, could not cut it in Mourinho's Chelsea. That speaks more about the coach than the player. Just saying

Dallku

artan wrote: he's just as limited as Meha is.
Lets not exaggerate. Meha is so limited that nobody knows what position he even plays. If it wasn't for his free kicks he probably wouldn't be a footballer. He's a soccer version of a "punter". Very low footballing IQ.

but I agree with the rest of your post. Don't think Skela would start under De Biasi because he was a typical old fashioned #10 with a low motor and no defense. De Biasi believes only in goons in midfield but that has gotten results.
Shpati
Team: Albania, New York Mets, New York Giants, Liverpool F.C.

Yea, Sadiku sucks, but he's still the best option as forward. It's not like there's a clear better option like there was during all those years of Bulku and Lila starts.
vata10

Skela, Lala, Tare, Vata and Duro were good players no doubt eventhough the Bundesliga they played in was nowhere at the level it is now. One thing is for sure they didn't have it hard to score goals. Don't think Skela , Lala and Duro would have a case for a starting spot in the current team's lineup vs the likes of Xhaka, Abrashi, Kace, Kukeli and Memushaj. The later ones being better players all around. Fatmir Vata would start on both wings though as would Tare or Bogdani as a striker in the current team.

All in all the current team is way better than anything I've seen in the last 16 years of watching the NT. What this team is lacking is a good striker and 1-2 wide players that can successfully take on players, to become a very good team.
  • Information