Rio Olympics - Albanian participation

With memories of the golden years (80's) of the albanian football still fresh on her mind, Albania is now attempting to recreate its strong football legacy. As young players start making their names abroad, the future is looking bright for Albanian football!

Moderators: ZenMaster, Shpati

Aurora Bulkualis
Team: Fc Bulku

Dallku wrote:Fact is that Albania is considered the most anti-sport nation in Europe. 0 medals in so many years is embarrassing. I believe Bosnia has 0 medals too but they have been competing since the mid 90's and have other excuses.
Dude, Albania was banned by Hoxha or whatever for a long time. They've only competed a couple of times. But I agree no one gives a shit. Gega or whatever her name was came 2nd in Europe, and she had no running track to train since QS was torn down. She had to train at a park with people bumping into her, and she's competing for a medal :D

Even football is there to make the club owners money by match fixing
"Cheap things you can buy in bulk, but Bulku is priceless" Ervin Xhevahir Bulku
Aurora Bulkualis

Plako wrote: Well what sports do Europeans care about except for soccer? Basketball is a close second and both Croatia and Serbia have great teams.
Soccer is the only sport that's common throughout Europe. Ice Hockey is only regional in Northern/Northeastern Europe. Even places like Britain and Germany have basically semi-pro players. Basketball is the same. Only Spain and France care out of the big countries. If Germany, Britain, etc.. took basketball seriously, do you think we'd have Lithuania, Serbia, Slovenia ranked like top 5? USA is so far ahead of the game, they could send their 6th reserve squad, and easily win.

Thing is no one really gives a shit about olympic sports, apart from the "medal count" either. 90% of these players are doping anyhow. We live in an age where only the "top sport/s" get attention.
artan

Aurora Bulkualis wrote:
Plako wrote: Well what sports do Europeans care about except for soccer? Basketball is a close second and both Croatia and Serbia have great teams.
Soccer is the only sport that's common throughout Europe. Ice Hockey is only regional in Northern/Northeastern Europe. Even places like Britain and Germany have basically semi-pro players. Basketball is the same. Only Spain and France care out of the big countries. If Germany, Britain, etc.. took basketball seriously, do you think we'd have Lithuania, Serbia, Slovenia ranked like top 5? USA is so far ahead of the game, they could send their 6th reserve squad, and easily win.

Thing is no one really gives a shit about olympic sports, apart from the "medal count" either. 90% of these players are doping anyhow. We live in an age where only the "top sport/s" get attention.
I'm not sure. Despite their relatively small population sizes countries like Serbia, Montenegro and Croatia have produced quite a number of good NBA players. It makes sense that balkan countries would be decent basketball players as the Balkan countries have some of the tallest average populations in the world.
Aurora Bulkualis

That's b.s. Yugo-propaganda dude. (The funny thing is I've only met 1 Yugo irl who was taller than 6"). Argentina and Spain supposedly have "short" populations, and they're ranked 2 and 4. It all depends on $ investment, effort, and mentality.
Jari
Has thanked: 0

Aurora Bulkualis wrote:

Doping is something that every athlete needs on order to compete nowdays.Illegal,but there is no other way for the athletes manage to compete on this stage at every sport.After all sports are made for the fans to enjoy them.

About basketball indeed the Balkan region has some excellent pplayers and teams(Serbia,Croatia,Greece,Slovenia) but I won't agree to the fact that GB or Germany would/could dominate of they actually cared.Lithuania keeps producing massive talents for a 3M popoulation and they have an amazing adevelopmental programme.Germany made solid tournaments last years with Dirk at his peak and believe me they do have much better facilities than every Lithuania or Serbia.And probably GB is the only team nowdays that has not a good basketball team (doubt that even have a league) comparing to their football team.Just checked up the rankings and noticed this:

1.USA,far from everybody else.
2.Spain
3.Lithuania
4.Argentina
5.France
6.Serbia
7.Russia
8.Turkey
9.Brazil
10.Greece

Almost everyone there apart from Lithuania and US have also a solid football team.The fact that big nation do not care for basketball is simply wrong.The fact that Lithuanians have 3! European Championships,2 more than France and the same with Spaniardsis quite impressive.Even Greeks have 2..We should care more for basketball I suppose.
Simboli i Diellit
Team: AC Milan

Albanian Basketball FA= MAFIA , they give themselves (ufficials) olympic fonds. Our best players rejected to take part in the qualifiers and the NT manager (from Cyprus) was quite angry (few days ago). Revolution is needed in all sport FA-s in ALbania otherwise having Presidents and directors who have nothing to do with sport will only do damage.
Dallku

It's about culture mostly. In Albania nobody knows/cares that they have a basketball team. In these Yugoslav countries, Greece, etc.. all hell would break loose if their basketball NT had problems.

Soccer is the only sport Albanians care about and that's to watch not play.
Plako
Team: Partizani

Skandali, olimpistja shqiptare nuk parakalon se s’ka kostum.

http://www.balkanweb.com/site/skandali- ... ka-kostum/

Our motto should be: Albania: Land of broken dreams.
artan

Aurora Bulkualis wrote:That's b.s. Yugo-propaganda dude. (The funny thing is I've only met 1 Yugo irl who was taller than 6"). Argentina and Spain supposedly have "short" populations, and they're ranked 2 and 4. It all depends on $ investment, effort, and mentality.
I'm not sure what you're referring to as propaganda. If you're referring to the height sizes the stats show the populations in the Balkans have some of the tallest average heights in the world. Just because you met some short people doesn't discredit this stat lol.

As for their quality Croatia has had quite a few top 10 picks in the NBA draft in recent years. Really talented players and they've produced alot for a country of 4 million or so. As for the investment I'm not sure about that but I know it's no where near in comparison to the United States. The basketball scene from high school AAU to college to NBA is a money machine. I would assume countries like Germany would have better infrastructure than the balkan countries but not the same interest. Lets not act like these economically depressed balkan countries are spending fortunes on basketball lol. Alot of these balkan kids grow up playing it in the urban basketball courts.
Jari
Has thanked: 0

Still,only Great Britain and in a less degree don't have an actual interest (and knowledge) on the item of basketball from the so called big/western countries.As far as I know Albanians living in Albania boycott basketball.God knows how much popularity football will gain after the latest Euro campaign.I don't expect anything to be changed in the next 25 years.Let alone sports like water polo and volleyball in which i have no idea of there is an actual amount of courts or even a league to compete.Didn't really watched football myself at the beginning of 10's as its difficult to get some coverage here in Slovenia,the situation at Albanian sports was miserable as hell that time.Still waiting for the time that Albanian football will have a consistent team representing the nation at European stage.Sad to see everyone else being somehow successful at Balkans,besides the region is corrupted as hell.
  • Information