Rio Olympics - Albanian participation

With memories of the golden years (80's) of the albanian football still fresh on her mind, Albania is now attempting to recreate its strong football legacy. As young players start making their names abroad, the future is looking bright for Albanian football!

Moderators: Shpati, ZenMaster

Plako
Team: Partizani

Kosova participates for the first time in the Olympics and they are sending 8 athletes. They could also bring their first medal with Majlinda Kelmendi.

Meanwhile Albania's Olympic joke of a team is sending only 6 athletes, one more than Andorra and same as Grenada. We are sending 5 athletes less than in the previous 2 Olympiads. An absolute joke again. Hopefully Luiza Gega can make a run for a medal too.

Rooting for Kosova to bring the first ever Albanian medal. Let's go Majlinda :flag:
Rodon

Kemi gjithsej 15 atlete, ka edhe nje sportiste ne fyrom.
Aurora Bulkualis
Team: Fc Bulku

Plako, the number of athletes depends on the competition. Albania only focuses on weightlifting, who has a strict elimination round. For weightlifting, I found out an Albanian guy actually broke a world record at the olympics in the 70s, but was injured for the second event, so he was dsq. We also had Pirros Dhitje, who trained in Albania, and went and won a billion medals for Greece.

I doubt Gega can win a medal. She placed 2nd in Europe, and that's not enough, considering Africans dominate running events.
"Cheap things you can buy in bulk, but Bulku is priceless" Ervin Xhevahir Bulku

Aurora Bulkualis wrote:Plako, the number of athletes depends on the competition. Albania only focuses on weightlifting, who has a strict elimination round. For weightlifting, I found out an Albanian guy actually broke a world record at the olympics in the 70s, but was injured for the second event, so he was dsq. We also had Pirros Dhitje, who trained in Albania, and went and won a billion medals for Greece.

I doubt Gega can win a medal. She placed 2nd in Europe, and that's not enough, considering Africans dominate running events.

Yeah agreed on all points especially on the competitions we're participating which are all individual sports. Montenegro is sending 34 athletes and they're mostly water polo and handball players. Still impressive for such a small country. Serbia and Croatia are sending almost 200 athletes combined. Amazing what former Yugo countries have been able to achieve in sports. Think Kosova will do very well going forward and can see them double their athlete count in 4 years. Kudos to them.

I am pissed that we haven't won at least e medal in weightlifting. Losing a bunch of weigh lifters to other countries in their prime hurt us real bad. Can't blame Pirro for deflecting though from a materialistic point of view. He's done very well for himself and just joined USA weightlifting coaching staff in July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plako

Aurora Bulkualis wrote:Plako, the number of athletes depends on the competition. Albania only focuses on weightlifting, who has a strict elimination round. For weightlifting, I found out an Albanian guy actually broke a world record at the olympics in the 70s, but was injured for the second event, so he was dsq. We also had Pirros Dhitje, who trained in Albania, and went and won a billion medals for Greece.

Yeah agreed on all points especially on the competitions we're participating which are all individual sports. Montenegro is sending 34 athletes and they're mostly water polo and handball players. Still impressive for such a small country. Serbia and Croatia are sending almost 200 athletes combined. Amazing what former Yugo countries have been able to achieve in sports. Think Kosova will do very well going forward and can see them double their athlete count in 4 years. Kudos to them.

I am pissed that we haven't won at least e medal in weightlifting. Losing a bunch of weigh lifters to other countries in their prime hurt us real bad. Can't blame Pirro for deflecting though from a materialistic point of view. He's done very well for himself and just joined USA weightlifting coaching staff in July.

Aurora Bulkualis
Team: Fc Bulku

i dont really find it amazing. its sports that no one cares about. even in football dz and red star benefited from yugoslavia. its like catalonia breaking apart, and saying a country with 7 million can have a team like barca when its obvious they benefited from spain.

at least theyre way more professional than the drug dealers who run albanian "clubs".
"Cheap things you can buy in bulk, but Bulku is priceless" Ervin Xhevahir Bulku
artan

Honestly, Olympics are a competition where wealthier nations dominate. Alot of those competitions and I say competitions because I refuse to call some of them sports are "rich man" sports. Like equestrian, archery, that fucking tube thing, etc. Alot of these athletes fund them selves and get their own sponsors, even for countries like the US.
Plako

Aurora Bulkualis wrote:i dont really find it amazing. its sports that no one cares about. even in football dz and red star benefited from yugoslavia. its like catalonia breaking apart, and saying a country with 7 million can have a team like barca when its obvious they benefited from spain.

at least theyre way more professional than the drug dealers who run albanian "clubs".
Well what sports do Europeans care about except for soccer? Basketball is a close second and both Croatia and Serbia have great teams.

Jari

Basketball is the second sport (and sometimes first) at the Balkan region except of us.Some western countries have developed Volleyball,Water Polo and Handball,as well as some of our neighbours have done.Let alone the fact that we have never won a medal at the Olympics..
Rodon

Again lol, I'm tired to explain this every time to all the Albanians that think so.

Albanians from Kosovo and Fyrom already won olympic medals, so we have some medals.
  • Information