Euro 2016 : Albania 2:1 Armenia (full match replay)

With memories of the golden years (80's) of the albanian football still fresh on her mind, Albania is now attempting to recreate its strong football legacy. As young players start making their names abroad, the future is looking bright for Albanian football!

Moderators: ZenMaster, Shpati

Berti
Team: Leeds
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I can't really discuss individuals regarding our defensive midfielders as I don't see any difference between them. All average at best and you may get one of them having a good game out of the usual 4 playing. My issue is why so many exact type of Defense minded players in a match you are expected to win. None of them are known for their passing ability or their creativity so you know what they give you. And if you are gonna use just 10 anchor men, then sorry but you cannot claim to have improved anything. 10 anchor men will make u a hard team to beat, but a dreadful team. Goals win games. And you can only rely on defensive tactics so far. You won't be lucky forever. Greece was a one off and they had a better team then. In my opinion we have not really improved even defensively, just now we defend with all players. DB has even created a new type of striker, " a defensive striker". He needs to go imo, or re evaluate his overall philosophy. The Armenia game was a wake up call
artan

Dallku wrote:I can understand the logic behind Kukeli(he's a quick passer and tactical) but Abrashi and Memushaj are completely useless. I don't buy into their "defense" either. Both have short legs and can't tackle. They just run like headless chickens.
Just for arguments sake they may not be the best defenders but them running like headless chickens is good for the pressing system DB plays. Sometimes great effort equals great defense and the ability to challenge relentless and cover pitch
Zemi
Team: Albanian NT and Arsenal!

I actually thought we played a great game against armenia. They bunkered and we had to break them down. Takes time. We were patient in our buildup and stopped their counter. Cant ask for more really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zemi

im actually rewatching the game right now.....minute 15....everyone was playing really well....i see exactly what kukeli abrash and memushaj are doing....cana and hysaj were actually the shaky ones so far
Aurora Bulkualis
Team: Fc Bulku

By the way, I was all for starting Gashi in the games against Armenia, because he scores vs. shit defenders with Basel all the time. But he's done jack shit against the big teams, and DB should stick to Lenjani/Roshi vs. Portugal/Denmark. Maybe give him a chance vs. France before completely writing him out.
"Cheap things you can buy in bulk, but Bulku is priceless" Ervin Xhevahir Bulku
Zemi

some random thoughts and musings:

i tell you what this ref gave alot of suspect calls against us when we had the ball in their box.

Cika - also i really like cikalleshi. Said it before but now it is even more confirmed. Definitely a starting striker for us. Although not a set in stone starter with Balaj being there or possibly Gashi as a CF . He worked his ass off...had chances,,did great,,any other day he scores those...plus a no call penalty in 57th minute which 100 percent was. Reminds me of a white Benteke 75:15 he had a great run which wouldve made any top coach happy

Memushaj - I dont think memushaj is a bad player. I actually thought he played ok. He has a good touch and good technique but he's not a scorer nor is he a player that is gonna create alot. But when you have gashi, basha, meha, kace, rama, lenjani all on the bench you cant start him. He is good for a shit Albania, but for an Albania like us who want to move forward, he is not good enough. Cant waste games and time starting him over the like of others i listed.

Abrashi - same with abrashi...he hustles and yes he closes down players very well. but he offers nothing offensively at all...home against armenia u cant have him, memushaj, and kukeli together...theres no offense there....its just a neutral setup...dont create and dont f*** up....against Armenia at home I don't want him starting

Kukeli was great. This guy always always always shows for the ball and never hides. He is always playing the triangle and is always playing the smart safe pass...He is our perfect outlet for our defenders. I dont see what you guys dont like about him. You cannot go from point A to point Z. on offense or defense, he connects the dots. 100 percent starter every game.

Agolli - Stellar, one tiny blemish 74th minute he got beat bad which almost resulted in an own goal for Cana, but like usual a solid performance...today was stellar though. a shoe is starter for me...would rather utilize his overlapping crosses from the LB position and play the more offensive Lenjani if front

Mavraj - forge the own goal. I dont fault him for that . guy is a pure player, always has been. comfortable on the ball. a great passer and distributor. excellent game. I dont see him getting replaced anytime soon. Cana on the other hand....

Cana - not the best game for him..was shaky throughout...almost tripped Mkhitaryan in the box on their goal....had a yellow early..a big foul outside our box as well....just wasn't himself today..was off form...but still he has to start....Would like to give minutes to Ajeti during our next game because sooner or later someone else will have to start cause of his yellow accumulation.

Hysaj - had an average game..hustled...played the right pass between his defenders and midfielders, however he lacked the final ball..His crosses were horrible..I counted about 4 that were just floating trash.....as well as a few passes that just made u go COME ON MAN...but he was scrappy and wasnt bad...would like to see him get stronger physically as well....a shoe in starter for me as well at RB

Xhaka - he is pure energy, pure strength, pure power..This is the guy you love to have on your team...you know if u f*** up or miss a ball that he is gonna be right there winning it back for you. While you are breathing hard clutching your sides going shit im tired you look at him and hes wide awake saying cmon lets go man...love this guy. plus his corner kicks were all great. shoe in starter. f*** you Granit

Roshi - not the best game offensively but he actually played a very disciplined game.He put in a great ball with a low cross early in the game. One thing about Roshi tho is he will put in a defensive shift. Hes a big boy too. He wins balls in the air and is strong. He doesnt get pushed off easily. I feel that he is needed sometimes simply for the fact he has the unknown element to him. You dont know if he is gonna go run past everybody and kick some ass or be quiet the whole game..Not a shoe in starter. People forgot about Rama so fast, but dont forget we rode Rama carried us on his back for a while last year. I like Roshi but I would like to see another player given a shot too

Berisha - we all know he is great. however 2 very shaky moments in last minute and half of the game. Korian missed a sitter. Anyway I like Ujkani better tho. sike

I know Armenia even with ten men are going to attack but we have to show better composure. Also it was very cool to see the players all unite at the end and have a team talk. I have never seen that with this team. Awesome to see..the chemistry is there and is only to get greater

Coach - If we wouldve lost or drawn we wouldve kicked his ass..He is lucky Gashi and Lenjani saved his ass or else we wouldve been questioning him alot more. Need to make the right decision. Cant wait til second half. against denmark away they will eat our ass for lunch if he doesnt realize his mistakes...ok he is still learning little by little

Subs

Gashi - shouldve started. Guy came in like a true leader. Demanded the ball, got the ball, passed it off, made a run to space. got ball again looked for goal threat. Guy was fearless. This is where you see the difference in players like him and memushaj in a game. This guy plays in CL. He knows what he is doing. give him the ball and let him do his thing. He HAS to start for us period. Ask yourselves this question. When was the last time we had a player come off the bench, all engines roaring and totally change a game and not only that but wants to take on the responsibility of being a badass? uh never. not til now, Gashi the general.He has a nose for the goal and is a pure player period. spot on sub but obvious too...Also when he was subbed on, where was position exactly and did xhaka move centrally?

Lenjani - Awesome. guy had one goal and one goal only. make their defenders live a living hell..guy has speed. an eye for goal and made their defenders work harder than they did the whole game. Pure offensive threat for us. As soon as he came in he had the nice faint move which rolled the ball past his defender. A starter for me always but as a LM/LW not a Lb. I have no idea why Di Biase didnt start him.

Salihi - eh what you gonna do, just throw a striker in there, we needed a goal...
EddieAFC

Agree with a lot of what you said Zemi. Gashi and lenjani were the obvious subs but they took the game over. They really showed their quality. And very encouraging to see the desire of the whole team to push on and win. Great team spirit. The fans and crowd was electric. Could feel the euphoria man. Just so excited we won.

One aspect of the game ill give de biasi credit for is the way he has the whole team working hard. Every time we gave the ball up our players worked very hard to press and win the ball back. With the way de biasi sets our team up and his general philosophy 433 is our best formation. Going forward i think this is our best and realistic lineup:

berisha
hysaj mavraj cana agolli
xhaka kukeli abrashi
gashi lenjani
cikalleshi

good balance, and it also fits the "defensive" strategy debiasi craves. Can sub rama, roshi whoever for abrashi if we need a goal.
Shpati
Team: Albania, New York Mets, New York Giants, Liverpool F.C.

EddieAFC wrote: berisha
hysaj mavraj cana agolli
xhaka kukeli abrashi
gashi lenjani
cikalleshi
This is the line up I like the best as well.

I'd like to try Kace, Basha, but I think Xhaka, Kukeli, and Abrashi fit the criteria more. Same with Cika and Balaj.
Zemi

EddieAFC wrote:Agree with a lot of what you said Zemi. Gashi and lenjani were the obvious subs but they took the game over. They really showed their quality. And very encouraging to see the desire of the whole team to push on and win. Great team spirit. The fans and crowd was electric. Could feel the euphoria man. Just so excited we won.

One aspect of the game ill give de biasi credit for is the way he has the whole team working hard. Every time we gave the ball up our players worked very hard to press and win the ball back. With the way de biasi sets our team up and his general philosophy 433 is our best formation. Going forward i think this is our best and realistic lineup:

berisha
hysaj mavraj cana agolli
xhaka kukeli abrashi
gashi lenjani
cikalleshi

good balance, and it also fits the "defensive" strategy debiasi craves. Can sub rama, roshi whoever for abrashi if we need a goal.
totally agree, the crowd prescence and euphoria was great...no booing...when we needed to play better and score they were getting behind the team...awesome to see. also i think thats what having a semi normal stadium will do for you...glad to see Elbasan host the games too....Needed something different.

i like that lineup also and yes you are right there is no room for lackadaisical play or lazyness....its like you said, about when you lose the ball how long it takes for you to pounce back on them and win it back and thats why i think he likes abrashi to start. I think the players really respect him and respond to him and the ones who dont put the work in or dont respond dont play ie. maybe meha's case....hey when we scored, Balaj was third choice striker didnt even come on and he was first off the bench celebrating the second goal.....says alot

Great to see Eddie back with his analysis
Minotti

Abrashi dissapoints me though. He is supposed to be a dm right? Well, lets just say that he doesnt do much in that deparment. If we could just find a good dm we could afford to slot Kace in a midfield of Three. If we're going to play with kace-xhaka and Another midfielder, its essential that we have someone who does the Dirty work. Free kace from that duty (not that he isnt good at it, at least better than abrashi imo) but he is a lot better in his passing game.

Kukeli is good with the ball but a bit too slow. More pressure on him and he will easily get caught. He doesnt have that cunning move to evade opponents under pressure like a Classic playmaker...
  • Information