Albanians abroad

With memories of the golden years (80's) of the albanian football still fresh on her mind, Albania is now attempting to recreate its strong football legacy. As young players start making their names abroad, the future is looking bright for Albanian football!

Moderators: Shpati, ZenMaster

Princ

Aurora Bulkualis wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:15 pm I really want to like guys like Hysaj, Bare, Uzuni that at least got their youth start in Albania. Too bad they have the consistency of a trampoline.
I would like to remember Hysaj as a player who had a great career for Albania.

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end and his era is over. Better to hang up the boots with honour, than do further damage to the team. People will never forget how he cost us qualification.

Time to make way for the young buck, Doka..
Aurora Bulkualis
Team: Fc Bulku

As for the Kosovars, Lorik Cana, despite his hot headedness on the field, is the greatest Albanian player ever if we take all of achievements, quality, leadership, etc... into account.

I wish we had someone like him now.
"Cheap things you can buy in bulk, but Bulku is priceless" Ervin Xhevahir Bulku
artan

Dallku wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:00 am
artan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:17 pm

The Kosovar diaspora players may have been mercenaries but they were more patriotic and played harder than all these Albanian diaspora players. Without them we never qualify for Euro 2016. They weren't complete pussies like this current crop of players are.

They were anti-footballers who were lucky UEFA expanded Euros and CAS gave them a free qualification. It was a lucky/flukey moment for a lot of them. (example: Arlind Ajeti).

They weren't good players at all. That Kosovar diaspora also played in 2014 and 2018 qualifiers. They were less warriors and patriotic then?
They were less talented but they had some talent mixed with professionalism. I do think this current crop is the best talent we ever had but they have constantly shown to collapse and without herorics from Broja we would have finished even worst.

But that core had a mixture of talent and professionalism. Someone like Ajeti was without a club half that qualification campaign and somehow managed to be a beast. Mavraj was a average bundesliga player but played like the Albanian Bonucci. Kukeli, Abrashi, Xhaka and Lenjani all played their hearts out. It didn’t last because the core got old and regressed. Cana, Mavraj, Kukeli all were dinosaurs after 2016 (Cana retired asap). Other guys like gashi, ajeti, aliji, kace etc all fell off hard, it happens in football. We just couldn’t replace them and the younger players we thought who could take over were all flops like ajeti and kace.

Going back to the point of professionalism I don’t see that in this team yet. I think Hysaj has that professionalism even if he’s not in his ideal position and gets shitted on. Bare I think can be that but has shown to collapse in big moments even if wasn’t his fault. Asllani I’m hoping. Broja and Bajrami despite the talent has issues with consistency and perhaps professionalism. Kumbulla and Gym are just quiet whereas Cana and Mavraj were both very vocal.

Maybe a vocal new manager (in the mold of a someone) can spark a fire under these guys.
Dallku

I believe qualification to the next Euros should be comfortable with this group. Of course unless you get plagued by injuries and stuff but it should be way more comfortable than the Cinderella/flukey/CAS story of 16. No one believed in qualification back then because the players were so bad. It was a dream that's why everyone was saying Une Besoj. Now if you don't qualify it will be a massive disappointment.

Nowadays qualifying to the Euros is fairly easy anyway. World cup will be the true challenge. If this group can qualify to the WC they will be legends.
Princ

Qualification to EURO finals was just a reward for the casual fans.

Breaking the top 25 was the real accomplishment though. It will be the measuring stick to determine how good this new group is..
Dallku

Giaccomo Vrioni putting on a poaching clinic in Austria. I believe this is 15 goals for the season, only 2 behind first top scorer.

Considering this is his first professional season these stats are pretty impressive regardless of the low level.

Now whether his game translates to higher levels remains to be seen.
Simboli i Diellit
Team: AC Milan

Jack can take Cikalleshi’s place. He’s had 5 goals this week in a relegation group. Reja was calling up Balaj who couldn’t score a single goal, at least Vrioni deserves to get tested in friendly matches...
Princ

Vrioni is a big guy with a lot of potential.

We do not lose any size or physicality with him on the field. I am curious to see how he develops going forward. He could be Igli Tare, but he could also be Edgar Cani..
artan

I'm still skeptical on Vrioni and will need to see him against better competition to see if the poaching translates. Still haven't seen much technical ability from him and many of his goals are Cikaleshi-esque goals (open nets, rebounds, etc). He seems to have a high work rate and seems to use his size/strength which is encouraging. Also makes runs going forward.

But that doesn't mean he shouldn't get a look over Manaj or Cikaleshi. I really don't know if Manaj or Cikaleshi are better than him at this point which I don't know is a compliment to him or an insult.
Princ

artan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:56 pm But that doesn't mean he shouldn't get a look over Manaj or Cikaleshi. I really don't know if Manaj or Cikaleshi are better than him at this point which I don't know is a compliment to him or an insult.
Cikalleshi is undoubtably better than him at the moment, but is aging and could decline rapidly in coming years.

I would give Manaj the slight edge as well, but it could be a toss up depending on how Vrioni looks when given some more chances with Albania.
  • Information